Year 8 Guided Choices 2023
Jump to: Guided Choices Evening Subject Information Pages Important Documents Key Dates
This is an exciting time for all young people and, although relatively straightforward for many, it can be a little confusing or overwhelming. To help you, we provide a range of guidance and support about potential choices. The information on these pages is a starting point. The key questions to discuss at home and with your tutor when choosing options will be:
- In which subjects am I most likely to succeed?
- Which subjects do I enjoy?
- Which subjects will enable me to progress to my preferred further education course(s)?
- How can I achieve the best qualifications to support me in my future life?
There is a range of information available on and through this page to help you make your choices:
- Subject information pages: Click on the subject you are interested in knowing more about and you will see either a video or narrated powerpoint that talks you through the course, a subject information sheet with key information in one place and then examples of student work so you can see the type of work you will be doing.
Important documents: This will include the Guided Choices booklet that explains the process, the subject information booklet which brings together all the subject information sheets and walkthrough guides for setting up the Student SIMS access and completing the Options Online.
- Key dates: The key dates for the process in one place.
Please use these resources and talk to your teachers, tutor and parents/carers to help you make your decision.
When you have made your decision please click this link to access the Options Online System.
Guided Choices Evening - Parent Event - Tue 21st Feb 2023
Slides from the 2023 Guided Choices evening (pdf)
Subject Information pages
Please click on the subject you are interested in:
Core Curriculum - taken by all
|Examined||English Language and Literature||Mathematics||Science|
|Non-examined||PSHE||Philosophy, Religion and Ethics||Games|
List 1 - 2 of your 5 choices come from this list.
|Philosophy, Religion and Ethics (GCSE)||Spanish|
List 2 - the remainder of your 5 choices. Please note 1st choice, 2nd choice and a reserve.
Please note for the following subjects you can choose only one and not both:
- PE (GCSE) or Sport (Cambridge National) but not both
- Design Technology: 3D Products or Design Technology: Fashion and Textiles but not both
Students will be allocated 4 subject choices in total for their Year 9 programme.
Subject Information Booklet 2023
Setting up Student SIMS account
Monday 6th February 2023
Guided Choices booklet issued to students and information available on the College website
Tuesday 21st February 2023
Year 8 ‘Guided Choices Evening’ - in college
5.30 – 6.30pm: Etheldreda and Franklin students
Wednesday 22nd February 2023
Options Online System goes live for student choices
Tuesday 7th March 2023
Year 8 Meet the Tutor Evening:
By Friday 24th March 2023
Choices complete and final form filled out via 'Options Online' system